“There are no shortcuts to maturity.”
The development of Christ-like character cannot be rushed. Spiritual growth like physical growth takes time. While we worry about how fast we grow GOD is concerned about how strong we grow. GOD views our lives from and for eternity, so He is never in a hurry.
Discipleship is the process of conforming to Christ. Christlikeness is your eventual destination, but your journey will last a lifetime.
Today, we are obsessed with speed, but God is more interested in strength and stability than swiftness. But real maturity is never the result of a single experience, no matter how powerful or moving.
Growth is gradual.
WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO CHANGE OR GROW UP.
- We are slow learners, we need repeated exposure. There is no growth without change no change Without Fear or loss and no loss without pain.
- We have alot to unlearn. It requires hardwork of removal and replacement.
- We are afraid to humbly face the truth about ourselves. You cannot grow without a humble, teachable attitude.
- Growth is often painful and scary. You must let go of old ways in order to experience the new.
- Habits take time to develop. Your character is the sum total of your habits. Your habits define your character. There is only one way to develop the habits of Christ-like character: you must practice them and that takes time! They are no instant habits. Repetition is the mother of character and skill.
DON’T GET IN A HURRY.
As you grow to spiritual maturity there are several ways to cooperate with God in the process:
- Believe God is working in your life even when you don’t feel it. Expect gradual movement. There are seasons in your spiritual life too.
- Keep a notebook or journal of lessons learned. Write down the insights and life lessons GOD teaches you about Him, about yourself, about life, relationships and everything else. Reviewing your spiritual journey regularly can spare you a lot of unnecessary pain and heart ache.
- Patient with God and with yourself. One of life’s frustrations is that GOD’S time table is rarely the same as ours. We are often in a hurry when God is not. Remember that GOD is never in a hurry, but He’s always on time. Who He will use your entire lifetime to prepare you for your role in eternity. When GOD wants to make a mushroom, He does it overnight, but when He wants to make a giant oak, He takes hundred years. Great souls are grown through struggles and storms and seasons of suffering. Be patient with the process.
- Don’t be discouraged. Habakkuk 2:1-3. A delay is not a denial from God. Remember how far you have come, not just how far you have to go. PBPGINFWYY- “Please Be Patient, GOD Is Not Finished With You Yet.” Say that to yourself over and over again.
DAY TWENTY EIGHT… THINKING ABOUT MY PURPOSE. POINT TO PONDER: There are no shortcuts to maturity. VERSE TO REMEMBER: Philippians 1:6. QUESTION TO CONSIDER: In what area of your spiritual growth do you need to be more patient and persistent? 🤔🤔🤔